Before I reveal their names, here are a few pictures of the chicken condo my husband and I created for them. It's nothing fancy, merely two large packing boxes taped together with a few modifications, but they seem to like it!
Anyhow, we named our chicks on the premise of them being female. We also invited our best friends' kids/pseudo-daughters to name two of them and act as honorary owners (i.e. constant visitation rights and babysitting responsibilities)! So, here are their official titles.
Buff Orpington #1 is the larger of the two and quite vocal when she's pulled away from her friends to be held. She is the least interested in being cuddled. I hope she isn't a he: Camille named her Peck Peck. Leave it to a 3-year-old to name a chicken Peck Peck. We've taken creative liberties with her choice and are now calling her Penelope "Peck Peck" Pocket (as in Pocket Square Farm).
Buff Orpington #2 is small and gentle. She loves to roll around in her bedding and fluff out her honey-colored feathers. Beckitt (and her parents) aptly named her Serafina Sweets.
Our Araucana seemed anti-social at first. I don't think she's really a loner; she was just in a different cage from the other three at the feed store and is having trouble being accepted into their little chickie click. I think she's also a week older than the rest and is being perceived as a bully by the other three, though she's really very gentle and goes to sleep immediately when you hold her! Mason named her Esther because she lays colorful Easter Eggs... thus, Esther the Easter Egger!
Last but not least, our Barred Rock Hen, the black and white one. Addison didn't name this chick during her first visit, but a name struck her on the car ride home: Lillian! I love her choice, as Lily was one of our runners-up when we were naming our daughter Camille. Lillian is a perfect name for this loving and graceful chick who snuggles up in the palm of your hand and lays her head down softly on your wrist, gazing at you dreamily while you pet her. Dare I say it? Lillian may be my favorite!
No comments:
Post a Comment