So I promised in August that I would post the recipes from my Guerilla Dining soiree. And then life got busy.
I went back to work. Mason started school. And, of course, we brought home chickens. Naturally.
But I didn't forget about that pledge to share all the delicious details, so here we go.
The first course I served was a simple salad of freshly picked and washed baby greens. I prefer to use sweet, tender, lacy lettuces rather than coarse romaine or spicy arugula for this salad. Harvest your lettuce in the morning so it has the highest moisture content possible.
You may be tempted to add a little more flavor or color by tossing in fresh or grilled veggies, crumbles of cheese, or croutons. But don't. This dressing is delicate and complex at the same time. It brings out the best in your greens, and it will be overwhelmed by any other flavors you try to add.
To prepare this recipe I measure out all the ingredients into a washed Mason jar, top it off with a lid and a sealing ring, screw it all together, and shake vigorously for about ten seconds. Pop it into the refrigerator so the sugar and salt can dissolve and the flavors can bloom and mingle.
When you're ready to serve (within the week) just give the dressing one more quick shake, pour liberally over your fresh greens, toss, and serve. I love this simple salad in the spring or summer, but if you happen to have lots of lettuces growing in your winter garden, you can shake and serve it up tonight!
Citrus Champagne Vinaigrette
This is an adaptation of a white wine vinaigrette recipe I found online. The difference is in the vinegar. I am in love with this vinegar.
Here's a picture of the brand I use. I purchase it at Von's on the top shelf, but you can also order it online through sites such as Sur la table. As an added bonus, this vinegar is produced right here in California!
Ingredients
1/3 cup very fresh vegetable oil (do not substitute olive oil; the flavor is too strong)
1/3 cup citrus champagne vinegar (see brand above)
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 Tbs. organic "white" sugar (may actually be light brown; do not use brown sugar)
1/2 tsp. salt, preferably kosher
1 pinch ground black pepper
Directions
Measure all ingredients into a small jar. Screw on the lid tightly and shake vigorously. Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
I have no nutritional facts for this dressing, though it's obviously not light in calories, nor is it or sugar-free. However, if one of your New Year's Resolutions is to eat more healthy foods (like veggies and greens), I promise this recipe will have you going back to the salad bowl for seconds... and maybe even thirds.
Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My sister and I love the "O" vinegars and olive oils. I have found them for super cheap at Home Goods in the gourmet food section! Love your blog!
ReplyDeleteKarli Spangrud (Bowers)