Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mercurial Milkweed

Elementary school teachers everywhere, take heart. You know those little plastic cups you have your students plant seeds in a few weeks before Open House? The beans and flowers and shrubs you sprout to teach life science standards? The tiny plants you figure probably die a few short days after the kids walk out the door with them in hand?

SOMETIMES THOSE SEEDLINGS DO SURVIVE!

Take this science experiment, for example. Last year my mom (also an elementary school teacher) brought home an extra milkweed seedling left over from another class' science project at her school. Knowing my interest in butterfly gardening, she passed it along to me. I promptly planted it... and then it grew... and grew... and grew.

The tiny milkweed sprout that came home in a red plastic cup at three inches tall now towers over me, standing more than 13 feet high. I was completely in awe of this plant for its sheer vertical growth habit.

And then these appeared.

These mercurial orbs encapsulate the seeds of the milkweed plant. They float in and among the leaves, gracefully, in alien patterns.

They seem to have an almost architectural quality to them. Their shape and texture are both modern and organic.

Gazing at these planet-like plant structures dreamily, I almost expect them to float off into space. Don't you think they are mesmerizing?

This would be an interesting shape for a pendant lamp. In white. Above my dining room table.

Ikea lighting designers, take note! Inspiration, after all, comes in many forms.

3 comments:

  1. Haha love that! This year I let some yellow weed survive in my flower bed simply because I admired it's will to survive and wanted to know what it would look like. And I don't even like yellow!

    @ Ikea: I'd take a lamp like that, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of cows over here! No idea how old your Kids are as I just recently found your blog thanks to Greta, but my kids love the books about millie the cow by German author Alexander Steffensmeier. Millie loves scaring the mail man until he becomes her best friend. Also the world's greatest chickens in those books!
    All the best from Germany
    Swenja

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year I decided to get something out of my son's science fair project and we sprouted all the seeds for our garden. He learned that seed size doesn't affect sprouting time nor does it affect size of seedling, and I got a garden full of wonderful plants! Yay for garden science!

    ReplyDelete